PREPARING FOR THIS MORNING’S MESSAGE
Read Colossians 1:24-2:5
The following questions are taken from the following resources that are available in our Adult Equipping Library in Room #112: The Wiersbe Bible Study Series by Dr. Warren Wiersbe; Embracing God’s Grace by Elizabeth George; Life Change Series (Nav Press).
1) To communicate his care for the Colossians, Paul says a lot about his own mission in 1:24-29. How does he describe his mission?
2) Why do you think Paul emphasizes that he struggles in his mission “with all [Christ’s] energy” (v.29)? (Optional: See John 15:1-5; 2 Corinthians 4:7; 12:9.)
3) Paul’s role as a minister to the gentiles is critical to the growth of the early church. Circle or list every mention he makes of how difficult his struggle has been to do this. How might things have played out differently in early church history if he had chosen not to become the church’s “servant by the commission God gave” him (v.25)?
4) What is “the mystery that has been kept hidden” (1:26-27; 2:2-3)? Why do you think Paul refers to a mystery? Why would this particular word resonate with the Colossian believers who were dealing with false teachers (see 2:8, 16-23)?
5) What are the evidences that Paul gives in 2:2 that describe spiritual maturity? Why are these important to believers?